To help navigate this unpredictable time the Office of Graduate Biomedical Education has collated a comprehensive list of resources and links targeted to graduate students. You can find these resources here.
And, please, remember to treat yourself and others with kindness during this stressful time.
GSA & OGBE Graduate Student Town Halls
The GSA and OGBE Have co-hosted two Town Halls to answer graduate student questions regarding the COVID-19 response. To view recording of these two events please follow the links below. Note: you will need to provide your JHED login information.
Corona Virus Information
- CDC COVID Information
- Hub COVID-19 information page: Information on Johns Hopkins University Operations
- Hopkins COVID Information
- Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center: How is Hopkins contributing to the global COVID-19 Response?
- Maryland Department of Health COVID Information
- WHO COVID Information
Educational & Research
- Animal Research Information
- Connecting during COVID-19: This document provides specific connectivity options and guidance on user challenges that have surfaced during this time. It includes information on AT&T Conferencing, Zoom and Teams.
- JHU Center for Computational Genomics: creating new courses covering topics such as “Introduction to R” and “Introduction to single cell analysis”
- JHU Graduate Student Website (New): Consolidated information about university-wide and school-specific resources relevant to graduate students
- JHU LifeSafe App
- JHU Research Administration Coronavirus Website: Graduate student research information
- Mistreatment Resources for SOM
- OIE Website: Office of Institutional Equity
- OIS Website: Office of International Services
- OIS Immigration-Related FAQ site
- Remote Access: general advice to remotely access resources at Johns Hopkins
- Safe at Hopkins
- SOM-specific graduate student COVID-19 website: Information specific to us (SOM grad students)
- SPEAK2US: Hotline (on online form) for discrimination, bias, and other issues.
- Student Disability Services
- Student Loan Information
- Thesis Calendar: provides the details for remote thesis presentations, please consider supporting other students by joining a virtual audience.
- Thesis Defense Google Form: fill out to register your own remote Thesis Defense.
- VPN connection
- Welch Library: offering classes
- Writing Scientific Papers – Scitable: by Nature Education
- Zoom Web conferencing: This document shares how to sign up for a Zoom account, use Zoom, and take advantage of other helpful links. It is also posted on the IT Service/Now site at jhjhm.zoom.us. Please be aware that because Zoom is cloud-based, some technological issues will be beyond our control.
Food Insecurity Resources
- Baltimore City Department of Recreation & Parks
- Baltimore City Public Schools meal sites
- Baltimore free food sites interactive resource map
- Franciscan Center of Baltimore: pantry& hot meals
- Maryland Food Bank
- 211 food resources
Mental, Emotional Health
- Anxiety and the News: article from Sheppard Pratt
- Calm: Mindfulness meditation app that includes soothing sounds and peaceful pictures, along with guided meditation and sleep stories (free premium access for JHU users)
- Coping with COVID Webinar Series
- Destress Monday: An online initiative providing information and reminders to support a positive start to the week and reduce stress overall.
- JED Foundation is a non-profit that focuses on emotional health and suicide prevention for young adults. See their page on managing mental health during COVID-19 and their recorded webinar entitled Resilience, Coping and Parenting Strategies during Uniquely Challenging Times.
- JHSAP (Johns Hopkins Student Assistance Program): Mental and emotional support
- JHU Counseling Center Workshops: Offered through the Homewood Counseling Center. Topics include mindful living, stress management skills, and wellness workshops
- JHU & TimelyMD Mental TeleHealth Counseling: TalkNow and Scheduled Counseling services available free to JHU learners
- Managing and understanding mental health concerns during the COVID-19 pandemic: HUB article by Dr. Dani Fallin, a mental health expert from BSPH
- Managing your Dimensions of Health in Stress and Uncertainty Recording: by SAHMSA public health advisor (and JHSPH alum) Brandon Johnson. Access password: J3$2R53v
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- Psychology Today
- SilverCloud: Online, confidential mental health resource that offers 24/7 access to interactive learning modules that teach cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) techniques (free to full-time students & trainees)
- UHS Mental Health
Music, Arts, & Education Resources
- Amazon Children’s Programming: Amazon now provides free streaming access to more than 40 children’s educational programming by signing in with a free Amazon account.
- Baltimore Choral Arts Society: offers free new digital concert mini-series – Music with the Maestro – Thursdays at 5pm
- Baltimore Symphony Orchestra: view videos, podcasts, and livestream concerts on their Facebook page
- Concerts, Plays, Museums and Other Culture: collated by CNN
- “Hop at Home” – a Hopkins-themed activity kid to keep kids engaged and entertained
- How to Keep a Tight Quarantine Schedule: Daily Humor article from the New Yorker
- List of Live Virtual Concerts: kept up-to-date by NPR
- LiveArts Maryland: “QuaranTiny Concerts”
- Peabody Concerts
- SpongeBob’s guide to washing hands
- Coronavirus Symptoms: If you experience symptoms, please STAY HOME and CALL the UHS main line 410-955-3250 BEFORE going in person.
- Cooley Fitness Center & UHS Free Virtual Classes
- Fitness Blender: Hundreds of free workout videos for any fitness level
- Free Online Exercise Offers
- Healthy Recipes from Johns Hopkins Medicine
- JHSOM Getting Help Page: Contact information for JHSAP & UHS and other resources
- Lifetime Fitness Video Workouts
- Merritt Club Virtual Programming
- Nike Training Club: Monthly fee for its premium service has been waived indefinitely, and grants access to more than 185 free workouts (yoga, cardio and more) which last from 15 to 45 minutes, as well as targeted running training programs, nutrition and wellness guidance.
- Peloton: Offers thousands of strength, yoga, stretching, boot camp and cardio workouts on its app, as well as meditation exercises and outdoor running coaching, which don’t require any expensive equipment. Peloton has extended its 30-day free trial period to 90 days, which you can sign up for through April 30.
- Ralph O’Connor Recreational Center: Homewood Campus gym
- Social Distancing & Self Quarantine Information
- UHS (University Health Services): Emotional and physical health
- UHS Wellness Feedback Form: For any ideas or feedback about how the wellness office can serve you at this time
- UHS Wellness Resources Pages
- Yoga Journal
- 5-minute office chair yoga
- Allen Institute for Brain Science Seminar Series
- Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics Archive: massive archive of talks and workshops
- Kavli Nanoscience Institute at Caltech
- Kavli Institute for Brain and Mind
- Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology
- NIH’s National Institute for General Medical Sciences Webinar Series
- Science Magazine Science & Technology Webinars
- Earth Cam
- Explore Live Cams
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Live Cams
- National Aquarium Live Cams
- Smithsonian live zoo-cams: 5 animals cameras (cheetah cub, naked mole-rate, lion, giant panda, and elephant)
- Virtual Museum Tours
- Virtual School Activities: A collection of sites to live webcams, virtual tours/trips, and other miscellaneous fun educational sites
- Virtual Tours National Parks
- Accessibility at JHU
- Blue Jay Shuttle Adjusted Schedules
- Dining at a Distance: Find out what restaurants are offering take-out, curbside pickup, or delivery. (And support your local restaurants!)
- Financial resources: from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Greater Good Magazine: published by UC Berkeley Greater Good Science Center
- JHMI Security Tip Line
- HR Coping with COVID Webinar Series: Through webinars on various topics, we hope to provide tips, tricks, and techniques to help you cope better with COVID. (ex: working from home while parenting, strategies for stress relief, budgeting, etc.)
- Luminosity: A brain training program that uses fun games to help keep your mind sharp
- MySupport: Access child and elder care options for Johns Hopkins Medicine (JHM) faculty and staff members, trainees and students through
- Parking Information & Updates
- PDCO Survey: To help those entering the job market
- PDCO Website: Professional Development Resources
- Stand by Baltimore: You can help support your favorite Baltimore businesses by purchasing gift cards from local businesses that you love